COVID-19 Vaccine Updates
Vaccines for Children
In late September, Pfizer announced that the Phase 2/3 trial for children 5 to 11 showed that their COVID-19 vaccine was safe and generated a “robust” antibody response. The trial included more than 2.200 participants and used a two-dose regimen of the vaccine administered three weeks apart. This trial used a 10-microgram dose while the vaccine for people 12 and older has a 30-microgram dose. Of the 2,200 participants, 978 were given the placebo and there were 16 COVID-19 cases. This suggests that the vaccine is extremely effective in preventing COVID-19 in this age group.
A Pfizer spokesperson confirmed that were no instances of myocarditis and that side effects comparable to those observed in patients 16 to 25 years of age. They typically last one to three days and include:
- Pain at the injection site
- Chills and/or fever
- Muscle and/or joint pain
Pfizer also stated that trial data for children as young as 6 months can be expected “as soon as the fourth quarter of this year.” Pfizer said plans to submit the data to the US Food and Drug Administration for emergency use authorization will be “soon.” Food and Drug Administration officials also said that once the data is submitted, an authorization for a vaccine for younger children could be available in a matter of weeks. A Pfizer spokesperson says that a formal request for an emergency-use authorization has not yet been filed but that it would be in the upcoming weeks. Shots are expected to be available by the end of the year.
Physicians Group Management (PGM) is one of the fastest-growing medical billing companies in the United States. For over 35 years, PGM has been providing medical billing and practice management services and software to physicians, healthcare facilities, and laboratories. PGM’s current client base encompasses the full spectrum of medical specialties, including Internal Medicine, Dermatology, Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, Pathology, EMS & Ambulatory Services, Cardiology, Nephrology, Urology, Pain Management, OB/GYN, Gastroenterology, Independent Laboratory, and many more. PGM’s medical billing and practice management solutions include: –
– A full suite of practice management and medical billing solutions each tailored to the specific needs of your practice
– CCHIT-certified electronic medical record software and services
– Streamlined, customized credentialing services for providers of all sizes
– Practice management software that provides advanced financial and practice analysis tools, specifically designed to give enhanced visibility of operations at the click of a button
– Laboratory billing software that offers best-in-class systems to streamline, and manage and track, financial and administrative processes