2022 CPT Code Updates Announced
The American Medical Association made more than 400 changes to the Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) Code Set for 2022. The changes take effect January 1, 2021 and include 249 new codes, 63 deletions and 93 revisions.
The 2022 CPT Code Set also includes 15 vaccine codes. These codes were created while working closely with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and are reportedly the “model for efficiently reporting and tracking immunizations and administrative services against the coronavirus,” according to the AMA.
COVID-19 vaccine and administration codes, including the recently developed third booster shot, have been added to the 2022 CPT Code Set. To find the correct code, the AMA created a search tool that provides the correct codes for the vaccine administered: https://www.ama-assn.org/find-covid-19-vaccine-codes
Five new codes for reporting therapeutic remote monitoring have been added; 98975, 98976, 98977, 98980, 98981 as well as four physiologic monitoring codes (99453, 99454, 99457, 99458) and four principal care management codes (99424, 99425, 99426, 99427).
Over the last two years, the VPT code set has seen the largest overhaul to the CPT code set. It’s important to keep your coding books up to date so claims are coded and billed correctly. If you need coding books, they can be found on Amazon: or here: AMA CPT® 2022 Professional Edition
Physicians Group Management (PGM) is one of the fastest-growing medical billing companies in the United States. For over 35 years, PGM has been providing medical billing and practice management services and software to physicians, healthcare facilities, and laboratories. PGM’s current client base encompasses the full spectrum of medical specialties, including Internal Medicine, Dermatology, Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, Pathology, EMS & Ambulatory Services, Cardiology, Nephrology, Urology, Pain Management, OB/GYN, Gastroenterology, Independent Laboratory, and many more. PGM’s medical billing and practice management solutions include: –
– A full suite of practice management and medical billing solutions each tailored to the specific needs of your practice
– CCHIT-certified electronic medical record software and services
– Streamlined, customized credentialing services for providers of all sizes
– Practice management software that provides advanced financial and practice analysis tools, specifically designed to give enhanced visibility of operations at the click of a button
– Laboratory billing software that offers best-in-class systems to streamline, and manage and track, financial and administrative processes