New Monkeypox Codes
American Medical Association has published new CPT Codes in response to the Monkeypox virus outbreak. These codes are to be used to report lab testing and vaccinations and are effective as of July 26, 2022.
When testing for monkeypox, labs should use code 87593 – Infectious agent detection by nucleic acid (DNA or RNA); orthopoxvirus (eg, monkeypox virus, cowpox virus, vaccinia virus), amplified probe technique, each
Vaccine Product Codes:
For vaccinations, there are two (2) new vaccine codes:
90611 – Smallpox and monkeypox vaccine, attenuated vaccinia virus, live, non-replicating, preservative free, 0.5 mL dosage, suspension, for subcutaneous use. The vaccine, Jynneos, which is also called Imvamune or Imnavez, is given in two (2) doses, 28 days apart.
90622 – Vaccinia (smallpox) virus vaccine, live, lyophilized, 0.3 mL dosage, for percutaneous use. Code 90622 was approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for use against the monkeypox virus.
There are no new administration codes. For administration, you should select from codes 90460/90461 Immunization administration through 18 years of age via any route of administration, with counseling by physician or other qualified health care professional or 90471/90472 Immunization administration (includes percutaneous, intradermal, subcutaneous, or intramuscular injections).
The diagnosis code that should be used to report the Monkeypox virus is B04 and the diagnosis code that should be used to report Monkeypox vaccinations is Z23 (encounter for immunization).
Physicians Group Management (PGM) is one of the fastest-growing medical billing companies in the United States. For over 35 years, PGM has been providing medical billing and practice management services and software to physicians, healthcare facilities, and laboratories. PGM’s current client base encompasses the full spectrum of medical specialties, including Internal Medicine, Dermatology, Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, Pathology, EMS & Ambulatory Services, Cardiology, Nephrology, Urology, Pain Management, OB/GYN, Gastroenterology, Independent Laboratory, and many more. PGM’s medical billing and practice management solutions include: –
- A full suite of practice management and medical billing solutions each tailored to the specific needs of your practice
- CCHIT-certified electronic medical record software and services
- Streamlined, customized credentialing services for providers of all sizes
- Practice management software that provides advanced financial and practice analysis tools, specifically designed to give enhanced visibility of operations at the click of a button
- Laboratory billing software that offers best-in-class systems to streamline, and manage and track, financial and administrative processes