The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) has released an "ICD-10 Next Steps for Providers Assessment & Maintenance Toolkit."
The toolkit is intended to help providers track and improve ICD-10 progress with information and resources.
Areas of focus include:
- Assessing your ICD-10 progress using key performance indicators (KPIs) to identify potential issues that could affect productivity or cash flow
- Addressing opportunities for improvement, including troubleshooting issues identified during your assessment and deploying tactics like system enhancements and targeted staff training
- Maintaining your progress and keeping up to date on ICD-10
The toolkit provides a lengthy list of KPIs providers can consider tracking and comparing data before and after the October 1, 2015, ICD-10 effective date. KPIs recommended for consideration include the following:
- Days to final bill
- Days to payment
- Claims acceptance/rejection rates
- Claims denial rate
- Coder productivity
- Daily charges/claims
- Incomplete or missing charges
- Incomplete or missing diagnosis codes
- Medical necessity pass rate
The toolkit also provides a series of helpful tips.
To access the ICD-10 toolkit, click here.
For additional ICD-10 resources, check out the practice management tools from PGM Billing, a leading provider or practice management solutions. Tools include ICD-9 to ICD-10 crosswalks, ICD-10 code lookup tool, ICD-9 to ICD-10 code conversion tool, and ICD-10 education.