Here are eight interesting statistics on electronic health records software adoption in physician offices, according to SK&A's annual "Physician Office Usage of Electronic Health Records Software" (pdf) report.
1. From 2013 to 2014, physician office usage of electronic health records increased more than 10 percentage points in solo and smaller practices.
2. Overall EHR adoption rate is 61 percent, up from 50.3 percent the prior year.
3. Adoption rate for single-doctor offices grew 11.4 percentage points, from 42.3 percent to 53.7 percent.
4. Adoption rate for offices with 26 or more doctors increased only 1.6 percentage points, from 75.9 percent to 77.5 percent.
5. EHR adoption rises as the number of physicians practicing at a site rises. Offices with 3-5 practicing physicians had 69.6 percent adoption. Offices with 11-25 practicing physicians had 78.1 percent adoption.
6. EHR adoption rises as the number of exam rooms at a site rises. Offices with one exam room had 39.7 percent adoption, while offices with 11-plus exam rooms had 74.8 percent adoption.
7. EHR adoption rises as the average daily patient volume at a site rises. Offices with average daily patient volumes of 1-50 patients had 57.5 percent adoption. Offices with 101-plus patients had 76.3 percent adoption.
8. Physician specialties with the highest adoption rates:
- Dialysis (80.6%)
- Internal medicine/pediatrics (75.8%)
- Nephrology (70.5%)
- Pathology (69.4%).
Source: SK&A, A Cegedim Company, January 2014