HARVARD PILGRIM HEALTH CARE AND TUFTS HEALTH PLAN MERGE
In January of 2011, Harvard Pilgrim and Tufts announced an attempted merger that was ultimately called off. Both companies found that they were stronger as separate companies than they would be if they were to merge. Now, a decade later, Harvard Pilgrim Health Care and Tufts Health Plan have officially merged. As of January 1, 2021, the merger was official, resulting in one of the region’s largest health care organizations said to serve 2.4 million members.
With this new merge comes new questions and concerns and during an interview, new Chief Executive Officer Tom Croswell addressed the following:
- No benefit changes are planned for 2021 due to the merger.
- Tom Croswell (CEO of Tufts Health Plan) will head as CEO. Michael Carson (CEO and president of Harvard Pilgrim) will become president of the combined organization.
- It will be renamed. The new name is set to be released during the second quarter of 2021.
- The combined organization will be relocating to Canton, Massachusetts during the fourth quarter of 2021.
- Immediate focus is on the COVID-19 pandemic. $1 million was initially invested to support education, awareness and outreach about the coronavirus and the vaccine.
As a result of the merger, Tufts Health Plan had to divest one of its commercial subsidiaries, Tufts Health Freedom Plan. The Department of Justice announced that in order for the Harvard Pilgrim and Tufts Health merger to move forward, the divestiture is required. The DOJ also announced that UnitedHealth Group was newly approved owner of Tufts Health Freedom.
Physicians Group Management (PGM) is one of the fastest-growing medical billing companies in the United States. For over 35 years, PGM has been providing medical billing and practice management services and software to physicians, healthcare facilities, and laboratories. PGM’s current client base encompasses the full spectrum of medical specialties, including Internal Medicine, Dermatology, Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, Pathology, EMS & Ambulatory Services, Cardiology, Nephrology, Urology, Pain Management, OB/GYN, Gastroenterology, Independent Laboratory, and many more. PGM’s medical billing and practice management solutions include:
– A full suite of practice management and medical billing solutions each tailored to the specific needs of your practice
– CCHIT-certified electronic medical record software and services
– Streamlined, customized credentialing services for providers of all sizes
– Practice management software that provides advanced financial and practice analysis tools, specifically designed to give enhanced visibility of operations at the click of a button
– Laboratory billing software that offers best-in-class systems to streamline, and manage and track, financial and administrative processes