As we previously discussed, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention indicated they will add about 1,900 diagnosis codes and more than 3,600 hospital inpatient procedure codes to the ICD-10 coding system.
After these codes are finalized, they will go into effect October 1.
Now the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) is pushing for changes to a number of these ICD-10-PCS codes because, as a Journal of AHIMA column notes, “…many of the new ICD-10-PCS codes deal with cardiovascular system devices and procedures, while ICD-10-CM additions were much broader in scope.”
AHIMA has requested changes to codes in the following categories:
- SPY Fluorescence Vascular Angiography (FVA)
- Oxidized Zirconium on Polyethylene Bearing Surfaces for Hip and Knee Arthroplasty
- Spinal Fusion with Nano-Textured Surface
- Intravenous Administration of Andexanet Alfa
- Insertion of Endobronchial Coils
- Hematopoietic Cell Transplant Donor Type
- Minimally Invasive Aortic Valve Replacement
- Branched Endograft Repair of Common Iliac Aneurysm
- Intravenous Administration of Defitelio (defibrotide)
- Administration of VISTOGARD (uridine triacetate)
- Insertion of Spinal Bracing and Distraction System
- Application of Biologic Wound Matrix
- Total Anomalous Pulmonary Venous Return (TAPVR)
AHIMA also recommended changes to ICD-10-CM codes in the following categories:
- Classification of Myocardial Infarction
- Congenital Sacral Dimple
- Postoperative Seroma
To read AHIMA comments regarding ICD-10-PCS codes, click here.
To read AHIMA comments regarding ICD-10-CM codes, click here.
For assistance with ICD-10, check out the many tools developed by PGM Billing, one of the nation’s leading coding and medical billing companies. Practice management resources include an ICD-9 to ICD-10 code conversion tool, ICD-10 code lookup tool, ICD-9 to ICD-10 crosswalks, and ICD-10 training and education. Want to know why more healthcare organizations are choosing PGM for assistance with billing, practice management, EMR services and more? Contact PGM today!