Proper medical coding is critical for many reasons. They include receiving proper payment for services rendered, limiting denials and maintaining compliance with payor rules.
Throughout 2015, PGM Billing launched a number of practice management tools that help ensure proper coding. These tools are free to access and use, and can be shared with coworkers and colleagues.
The tools are as follows:
- Medicare CPT code lookup tool provides users the ability to perform CPT code searches to obtain the Medicare relative value payment associated with a specified code and geographic region.
- CPT coding app performs code searches to obtain the Medicare relative value payment associated with a specified code and geographic region. It is available for free from the iTunes app store.
- ICD-9 to ICD-10 Code Conversion Tool converts ICD-9 to ICD-10 codes (and vice versa) by simply selecting the conversation type followed by the code. It also includes the ICD-10 Code Lookup Tool, which provides the option to search for just an ICD-10 code via code or keyword.
- ICD-9 to ICD-10 Crosswalks address some of the most frequently used ICD-9 codes converted to their ICD-10 equivalent(s) in more than a dozen common specialties: allergy, anesthesia, cardiology, chiropractic, dermatology, emergency medicine, gastroenterology, mental health, nephrology, orthopedics, otolaryngology, pain management, primary care and urology.
- HCPCS Code Lookup Tool provides users the ability to perform a HCPC codes lookup to obtain the correct code and description a user is looking for. Users may search using either the complete or partial HCPCS code as well as any number of keywords used to describe the specified code.
Access the practice management tools by clicking here. PGM offers additional, free coding resources available through the PGM website, including a robust and frequently updated healthcare blog and a section of the site dedicated to providing an overview and explanation of ICD-10.